[eas_cs_seminars] 28th March 2017

Luca Rossi l.rossi at aston.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 10:33:04 GMT 2017

Dear all,

Next week our CS seminar series will host Dr. Joao Carreira (Google
DeepMind, London, http://home.isr.uc.pt/~joaoluis/) who will give a talk
titled "Understanding people in videos". The talk will be held as usual in
MB220 from 2pm to 3pm.

This will be the last talk before the Easter break, I hope you'll all be
able to join!
Luca

Abstract:
The problem of “understanding” people in videos has been a long-standing
central challenge in computer vision and artificial intelligence. In this
talk I will first discuss recent technical advances in human pose
estimation using models that make iterative passes through convolutional
networks. I will then describe a novel (sorely needed) dataset for human
action recognition, gathered from YouTube, having an order of magnitude
more videos than existing datasets. I will show that this dataset enables a
new type of spatiotemporal models which obtain results considerably above
the state-of-the-art on popular benchmarks.

--
Luca Rossi

Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Aston University
Web: http://www.cs.aston.ac.uk/~rossil/ <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rossil/>