[eas_cs_seminars] machine learning reading group

Luca Rossi l.rossi at aston.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 09:39:55 BST 2016

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for this one-off email sent to the cs_seminars list
despite not being strictly about cs seminars. This happens to be the best
way to reach all of us in cs, and I'm cc'ing also people in maths in case
they're interested.

As some of you know, together with some colleagues in cs we are running a
reading/interest group on machine learning every Monday from 2pm to 4pm.

If you're interested in attending some of the talks, please send an email
to either me (l.rossi at aston.ac.uk) or Dr. Xiaorui Jiang (
x.jiang4 at aston.ac.uk) to be added to the Blackboard module of the group. On
Blackboad you can find the material (slides and, when available, panopto
recording) and most importantly the announcements of the weekly topics.

*I won't send any other email to other mailing lists, all announcements
will be done through Blackboad so if you think you may be interested, ask
us and we'll add you to the module.*

Next week on Monday (17th Oct) at 2pm in MB437, David Vilares Calvo will
present the following paper:

*Learning Language Games through Interaction *by Sida I. Wang, Percy
Liang, Christopher D. Manning, Stanford University, ACL 2016

*Abstract*

David will present a new learning setting relevant to building adaptive
natural language interfaces. It is inspired by Wittgenstein¹s language
games: a human wishes to accomplish some task (e.g., achieving a certain
configuration of blocks), but can only communicate with a computer, who
performs the actual actions (e.g., removing all red blocks). The computer
initially knows nothing about language and therefore must  learn it from
scratch through interaction, while the human adapts to the computer's
capabilities. To test so, the authors created a game called SHRDLURN in a
blocks world and collected interactions from 100 people playing it. There
is an available demo to play the game athttp://shrdlurn.sidaw.xyz/  .

The slides from Sida's talk are available at:

http://nlp.stanford.edu/~sidaw/acl16slides/#slideIndex=0&level=0
Best,
Luca

--
Luca Rossi

Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Aston University
Web: http://www.cs.aston.ac.uk/~rossil/ <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rossil/>