[eas_cs_seminars] 10th July 2018

Luca Rossi l.rossi at aston.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 14:15:26 BST 2018

Hi all,

I know I'm sending this around way earlier than usual, but given the period
in which the seminar will be held I thought an early notice (and several
reminders...) may help to maximise attendance.

Prof. Deborah Richards (http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~richards/) will give
a talk titled "Virtual Worlds and Intelligent Virtual Agents for Education,
Training, Health and Wellbeing" on Tuesday the 10th of July, in MB220, from
2pm to 3pm.

I know many of us will be on leave in that period but I'd like to encourage
you to participate if you're still around enjoying the notoriously glorious
British summer.

===
*Title*
Virtual Worlds and Intelligent Virtual Agents for Education, Training,
Health and Wellbeing

*Abstract*
This talk will look at the use of Intelligent Virtual Agents(IVAs) for
social simulations with consideration of current goals, challenges and
ethical issues related to their use. I will provide an overview of my
research concerning IVAs and emotions, memory and teamwork for applications
such as debriefing and reminiscing, border security officer training,
scientific inquiry and science education, real estate assistance, museum
guidance, behaviour/attitude change, empowerment and adherence to treatment
advice.

*BIO*
Deborah Richards is a Professor in the Department of Computing at Macquarie
University. Following 20 years in the ICT industry during which she
completed a BBus (Comp and MIS) and MAppSc (InfoStudies), she completed a
PhD in artificial intelligence on the reuse of knowledge at the University
of New South Wales and joined academia in 1999. While she continues to work
on solutions to assist decision-making and knowledge acquisition, for the
past decade, her focus has been on intelligent systems, agent technologies
and virtual worlds to support human learning and well-being.
===

Best,
Luca
--
Luca Rossi

Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Aston University
Web: http://www.cs.aston.ac.uk/~rossil/ <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rossil/>