[eas_cs_seminars] 17th April 2018

Luca Rossi l.rossi at aston.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 14:16:15 BST 2018

Hi all,

Next Tuesday (17/04) Dr. Antonio Garcia-Dominguez will give a talk titled
"Towards temporal queries for evolving linked data" in MB246A from 2pm to
3pm.

We have been a bit too intermittent with the seminars lately, this was due
to the strike as well as some speakers changing their availability. We're
going to have a seminar next week (Antonio) and another seminar the week
after that, plus potentially an additional speaker for May, so stay tuned.

Best,
Luca

Abstract:
Engineering firms build linked collections of complex artefacts that evolve
over time: floor plans, software requirements and architectures, control
processes, or simulation programs, among others. The execution state of a
running system can also be seen as a complex graph whose nodes, edges and
values change over time, e.g. in self-adaptive applications. In both cases,
we may want to derive metrics or effective workflows from their evolution
over time, detect when certain situations may have happened, or compare
snapshots at certain key points in time. With this in mind, I have started
working on the extension of the Hawk model indexer so it can produce a
temporal graph from collections of structured and linked files stored in
standard version control systems, and I have drafted what the extended
query language would look like. In this talk, I will introduce prior works
in temporal querying over object-oriented databases, event streams and
object-oriented system models, present the first steps taken with the
Greycat many-worlds temporal graph technology, and set out a research
roadmap for the short- and mid-term future.

--
Luca Rossi

Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Aston University
Web: http://www.cs.aston.ac.uk/~rossil/ <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rossil/>