[eas_cs_seminars] 17th October 2017

Luca Rossi l.rossi at aston.ac.uk
Thu Oct 12 13:18:51 BST 2017

Hi all,

Next week Prof. Andrea Torsello (http://www.dsi.unive.it/~atorsell/) we'll
give a talk titled "Partiality and Localization in Functional
Correspondences". For more details, please see the abstract below.

The talk will be in *MB231 from 3pm to 4pm*. I'm cc'ing also the math staff
list for this seminar because I think it may be of interest also to some
staff members not in the usual seminar list.

Abstract:
The functional maps is a framework for dense shape correspondences modeled
as a linear operator between spaces of functions on the shape manifolds.
While functional maps can be made resilient to missing parts or incomplete
data, overall this framework is not suitable for dealing with partial
correspondence and suffers from lack of localization of the
point-correspondence due to the band-limited nature of the correspondence.
In this presentation I will briefly introduce the formalism and then
propose recent work trying to address both issues. We use perturbation
analysis to show how removal of shape parts changes the Laplace-Beltrami
eigenfunctions, and exploit it as a prior on the spectral representation of
the correspondence. Further, we show how a change from the low rank Fourier
basis to a sparse spatial basis can improve correspondence-localization
even in presence of partiality.

See you next week,
Luca

--
Luca Rossi

Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Aston University
Web: http://www.cs.aston.ac.uk/~rossil/ <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rossil/>