[eas_cs_seminars] Tuesday 7th March

Luca Rossi l.rossi at aston.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 11:59:33 GMT 2017

Dear all,

Next Tuesday (07/03) Dr. William Langdon (http://www0.cs.ucl.ac.uk/
staff/W.Langdon/) will give a talk titled "Long-Term Evolution in Genetic
Programming" in MB220 from 2pm to 3pm.

Looking forward to seeing you there,
Luca

Abstract:

We evolve 6-mux populations of genetic programming binary Boolean trees for
up to 100,000 generations. As there is no bloat control, programs with more
than a hundred million nodes may be created by crossover. These are by far
the largest programs yet evolved. Our unbounded Long-Term Evolution
Experiment LTEE GP appears not to evolve building blocks but does suggests
a limit to bloat.

We do see periods of tens even hundreds of generations where the whole
population is functionally converged. In contrast to wetware LTEE
experiments with bacteria (genome 4.6 million base pairs in length and
66000 generations), we do not see continual innovation, but instead
although each tree in the population may be different, they all have the
same phenotype (in that they can all solve the multiplexor benchmark) and
the code next to the tree's root becomes highly stable.

We test theory about the distribution of tree sizes. Surprisingly in real
finite populations with typical GP tournament selection we do see
deviations from crossover only theoretical predictions.

--
Luca Rossi

Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Aston University
Web: http://www.cs.aston.ac.uk/~rossil/ <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rossil/>